openldap 2.2.17 and following references

I'm using openldap 2.2.17. I can do a simple search that usually
returns only 4 results in a matter of seconds. However, sometimes it
takes a couple minutes.

An ethereal trace shows the first initial DNS lookup, then bind, then
search, and 4 search results are returned immediately. After a minute
or two of no network traffic, openldap does some DNS lookups, and then
connects to the same server 3-4 times, and attempts to search using
the same filter again. I'm assuming it's attempting to follow
references (based upon what I know of the server and the DNS lookups).
But why the 1-2 minute lag?

Is this a known issue that has been fixed in an updated version?

 - Jeremiah
 inlovewithGod@gmail.com