ldapsearch returns one entry

I hope this is a simple problem. I just installed Fedora Core 4 on a server which was previously running FC1 (OpenLDAP versions 2.1.22 and 2.2.23, respectively). Under FC1 LDAP authentication and authorization worked fine, as did autofs with an LDAP automount map. After restoring my previous versions of ldap.conf and slapd.conf and starting slapd on the new system, I did

    ldapadd -x -W -D cn=manager,dc=sfo,dc=csun,dc=edu -f backup.ldif

where backup.ldif is the contents of 'ldapsearch -x -b dc=sfo,dc=csun,dc=edu \*' run on the old system. Now, this same ldapsearch only returns one entry, the root entry of the tree. LDAP authentication is not working either; 'getent passwd' shows only the entries in /etc/passwd. Repeating the ldapadd command, however, complains that all the entries already exist.

As a second attempt, I simply copied the old database files from a backup tape to the new system. Same symptoms.

Can anyone help?

begin:vcard
fn:Stephen Walton
n:Walton;Stephen
org:California State University Northridge;Physics and Astronomy
adr:;;18111 Nordhoff St;Northridge;CA;91330-8268;USA
email;internet:stephen.walton@csun.edu
title:Professor
tel;work:818-677-2769
x-mozilla-html:FALSE