Re: ACL optimization

--On Friday, August 05, 2005 12:25 AM -0700 Howard Chu <hyc@symas.com> wrote:

Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
As a curiosity, servers matched by the first rules are about 5 or 6
times
faster to response than servers matched by last rules. I thought that
the ACL evaluation time will be uniform because the whole set of rules
would be evaluated. this makes sense to someone?

This give me an extra advantage because I can sort the most important
servers first to grant a fast response to critical apps.
ACL evaluation results are stored in the idl cache, so the more a
given rule is exercised, the quicker the result sets to that rule
should be, if you have a good idl cache setting.
No they are not. Index lookups are cached by the IDL cache; that has
nothing to do with ACL evaluation.

Ah, sigh... Some confusion on my part there. ;)

I still think the modifications to the BDB cache are definitely worth trying however.

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer