Re: openldap profiling tools

Howard Chu wrote:
>>  I did not mention it because I was looking for a general way to find
>>  what's the bottleneck in an openldap installation. I can stress the
>>  server and play with the configuration to find what parameters
>>  improve performances (reduce failed authentications) but it's a long
>>  and not so easy process. I thought that server-side performances
>>  mesuring tools would have help in tuning the configuration with
>>  information such as
> It sounds like you're asking a pretty general question about code
> profiling then, not something specific to LDAP or OpenLDAP.
Not really, I'm just looking for a method to tune my configuration.
I'll try the low-level profiling approach but I am not sure that the
results will help me to configure the server :)

I started grepping the slapd logs, maybe this will be a good starting
point. At least I can reproduce my typical load on a test server.
Log parsers like apache's ones (awstats, webalizer...) would be very
interesting in such cases : number of requests, frequencies, time taken
to answer...

>>  Since the bdb files are very small (<200k) I supposed that they stay
>>  in memory and I dit not look at DB_CONFIG files, should I ?
> Probably. Use db_stat -m, that will tell you whether the current
> (default) settings are working well or not.
I forgot to mention that I had already run db_stat -m (found this in the
faq #1075) and that everything fit in the cache.

--
Sébastien Georget
INRIA Sophia-Antipolis, Service DREAM, B.P. 93