MinGW and Client Libraries

Hello,

I have done repeated searches through the archives and
have not been able to find the answer I need.

I am working on porting a Linux App to WIN32.  The
Linux project is currently using OpenLDAP 2.2.17 for
client access.  What I need is to get the client
libraries libldap and liblber into either static or
dynamic libraries I can link to using MSVC 2003 (7.1).

I have been able to compile the whole openLDAP server
using MinGW, MSYS and a version of Lucas Bergman's
script (all other attempts, like what is described in
the FAQ, fail at one point or another).  But I have no
idea how to get the client libraries in a form MSVC
can use.

What I would like to know is:

Are there special flags to produce static or dynamic
libraries, Or, can the .a files produced by MinGW be
converted to .lib files that MSVC understands, or, is
there some other way to get a hold of these libraries?

I have seen similar questions (about getting windows
builds) asked in the archives, but don't find many
answers.  Is it just that I cannot find the answers in
the archives, or has no one found a good way to
compile the 2.2.x system on Windows?

Note:  An older version of my companies software was
done on 2.1.x before I got here but the specs are now
to use the 2.2.x libraries.

Thank you,

DAbbink

Yahoo! Sports