Re: Also, Re: What is err=52?

My config for the ldap backend consists of nothing but:
database                ldap
suffix                  "o=NCSU,c=US"
uri                     ldapi:///
suffixmassage           "o=NCSU,c=US" "ou=people,dc=ncsu,dc=edu"
lastmod                 off

This this point.  I do not understand what could possibly be going
wrong if this works for others.  All I know is the ldap backend (and
only the ldap backend) starts only returning:

You have to specify the path to the socket, that is

uri ldapi://%2Fpath%2Fto%2Fldapi

But it works without me doing that. (at least for a while it does)

I have just setup a test system with your configuration, and it works for me :-) But I think I realise the source of your problem now. Have you ever checked the properties of the socket? If not, set the appropiate properties (rwxrwxrwx).

Hrm. Mine are indeed set to: srwxr-xr-x 1 root other 0 Aug 17 08:51 ldapi

Any idea why it works for about 5 days or so and -then- dies? It seems like if it were a path or permissions issue, it would be broken immediately and never work. In my case, it works like a charm for approximately 5 days and then stops working, returning the error in question. It really "feels" like a buffer issue of some sort simply because, we used to have a heavily used product that was using o=NCSU,c=US and, during that time, it only took about 1 day before the err=52 started showing up. Once we make that product use dc=ncsu,dc=edu, it takes significantly longer for the error to show up.

Frankly, I don't know your setup, but I am running back-ldap as
well, proxying and caching a particular tree, but I must admit, I am
running 2 different slapd versions on the same host. The master is
only started with '-h ldapi:///' while the slave is being started with '-h
"ldap:// ldaps"'. The relvant parts of slapd.conf

,----[ slapd.conf ]
| database ldap
| lastmod  off
| rewriteEngine on
| suffix dc=orange,dc=de
| suffixmassage "dc=orange,dc=de" "o=avci,c=de"
| uri ldapi://%2Fusr%2Flocal%2Fvar%2Frun%2Fldapi
| overlay proxycache
| proxycache hdb 50000 2 100 3600
`----

I had upgraded to 2.2.15. I have a custom DB_CONFIG, I have not changed a thing in /etc/system. Any of those bad ideas? ;) I see you have enabled the rewrite engine above, btw. But I don't see any rewrite rules. I also don't use a proxycache. I sure wish there was something concrete I could say. =) Hate errors that are non-trivial to reproduce. Perhaps I should investigate the proxycache? Are you running Solaris based servers?

Daniel

--
\ \\\      Daniel Henninger           http://www.vorpalcloud.org/        /// /