Re: mmap: Cannot allocate memory?

On Wednesday, April 14, 2004, at 01:34 PM, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
--On Wednesday, April 14, 2004 1:58 PM -0500 "Armbrust, Daniel C." <Armbrust.Daniel@mayo.edu> wrote:

What OS are you using?

--Quanah

Redhat 9 on a dual cpu AMD based 32 bit system

Linux has a hard coded 1.9GB upper limit on shared memory segments. I also have found that BDB itself in a 32 bit linux environment won't let me allocate 2 GBs of cache, disk or otherwise. One of my goals is to track down where BDB is hard coding that in. It definitely does not have that limit under Solaris.

We have that limitation on some of our Linux hosts, not on others. Not on Redhat Enterprise, for example. I was given to understand that it's a build parameter to the kernel, which might be set to different values according to the intended application - a server platform would get a larger limit.

	Donn Cave, donn@u.washington.edu