Berkeley db package really necessary for openldap??

Redhat enterprise 3
httpd-2.0.46-32
openldap 2.0.27
netqmail-1.0.5
courier-imap-3.0.3
php-imap-4.3.2-8
php-ldap-4.3.2-8

Need to get openldap going here so we can start Virtual Users email
accounts..

/etc/openldap/slapd.conf  database defaults to ldbm

Tried to install berkeley 4.2.52 but it complains about not having the
latest tcl stuff installed. Ran into other dependencies problems
installing the latest tcl as tk, gaim and others are using the same libs.

Have been told to avoid both ldbm and dbm.

Found the below db's already installed so I'm wondering is it really
necessary to install the Berkeley DB stuff?

Which one does PHP interface with the best?

]# rpm -qa |grep gdbm
gdbm-devel-1.8.0-20
gdbm-1.8.0-20

]# rpm -qa |grep db4