Slapd stops working after a NOT graceful shutdown

I'd like to solve a problem which I faced few months ago.

When the server (RH 7.3) is shut down because of power black-out (UPS not
working properly) or brutal reset the LDAP service does not work anymore. I
have to slapcat the database and rebuild it to make the service work again.

Even if it does not happen often (last time this morning) I want to fix it.
I think it's a matter concerning the back-end configuration but I'm in
trouble on how to proceed: the only option set in the DB_CONFIG is the
set_cachesize'.
How can I debug it ? I saved the 'corrupted' DB files ...

thank you very much

Walter Vendraminetto - Research Consultant
Centro di Competenza per la Progettazione di Sistemi Dedicati
c/o Dipartimento di Informatica - Universita` di Verona
Strada le Grazie, 15 - 37134 Verona (Italy)
email: vendra@sci.univr.it
tel: 045-802-7062
fax: 045-802-7068