can't bind to database

I've been working for some time now on migrating my Yellowdog Linux box from
passwd authentication to OpenLDAP 2.1.25.  I've finally gotten all of the
information migrated over, but I can't bind to the database as a regular user,
only as the root ("cn=manager," etc.) or, oddly enough, as an anonymous user.
When I try to bind as a user in the LDAP database, it gives me the following
error:

shell> ldapsearch -x -W \
       -D 'uid=cas1650,ou=People,dc=students,dc=NebrWesleyan,dc=edu' \
       -b 'dc=students,dc=NebrWesleyan,dc=edu' -LLL 'uid=cas1650'
Enter LDAP Password:
ldap_bind: Invalid credentials (49)

Also, if I try to do something that requires LDAP authentication via the
pam_ldap module, like changing my password, it will not recognize the LDAP
password:

shell> passwd
Changing password for user cas1650.
Enter login(LDAP) password:
LDAP Password incorrect: try again

I've added the "[auth|account|password|session] sufficient
/lib/security/pam_ldap.so" lines to my /etc/pam.d/ files, and I've also
verified that the migration script I did shadowing correctly -- i.e., the
"userPassword" field is set to a real password, not to "x."  After that, I
really don't know what more to do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris St. Pierre

"Listen: We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody
 tell you any different!"    --Kurt Vonnegut