Re: Problems with the file core.schema included with OpenLDAP2.1.22 & 2.1.25

At 06:01 AM 12/19/2003, Lee Clemmer wrote:
>Thanks Kurt, I see that now, my startup script *is* referencing the older slapd. Duh.
>
>So why didn't the make install overwrite it, or provide an error or note that it didn't?

I would be surprised if 'make install' didn't warn you:
  PRESERVING EXISTING SCHEMA FILE core.schema
but not surprised if you ignored it.  No argument from me
that better 'upgrading' documentation is needed.  The FAQ
is a good place to start such.  (We often use the FAQ to
gather information for subsequent inclusion in the guide.)

>my prefix in ./configure was set to /usr rather than /usr/local, so it *should* have been put in /usr/sbin, no? Why is it in /usr/libexec?

Because slapd(8) is not a "system admin executable" but a
"program executable".  While slapd may be started by a system
admin (or a "user" for that matter), it generally intended to
be started by init(8) via rc(8) (like other daemons).

>That isn't horribly clear from the ./configure help, in my opinion. (/usr/libexec/slapd is the 'right one'?)

Well, you can always do a trial run (--prefix=/tmp/openldap)...