Re: Running slapd and user authentication

At 08:27 AM 12/17/2003, Matt Harp wrote:
>slapd 2.1.25 on Windows, built myself with VC++ 6.0
>When I start up my slapd server, do I have to have some sort of user
>authentication server running also (like SASL)?
>
>My issue is that I've got slapd built and running but I can't view any of
>the entries that I put in via slapadd. I've got Softerra's free LDAP browser
>and all I get is a "No such object" error when I try to expand my dc= node
>in the browser tree (but I know there's stuff in there because I can do an
>LDIF export and it comes out to a file looking just like I expect it to).
>When I call ldapsearch -h <my machine> I get this...

You might try to get things up and running with simple
authentication before you try SASL.

See http://www.openldap.org/faq/index.cgi?file=577

>I've got the SASL stuff in c:\sasl-plugins and have the registry entries
>setup. However, I built the sample_server that comes with Cyrus and when I
>run it I get a bunch of memory asserts about invalid addresses. The server
>still says it's running, but I'm not convinced that it is. Am I missing a
>piece to the SASL server or is there a simpler server I can run?

I suggest you take questions specific to Cyrus SASL to
the cyrus-sasl mailing list.
  mailto:cyrus-sasl-request@lists.andrew.cmu.edu?body=subscribe

>Am I missing some sort of Slapd configuration to be getting this No such
>object error? Googling isn't providing me withmuch to try, so hopefully
>someone here will be able to help.

Maybe the object you are asking for simply does not exist.
Did you add it?

See http://www.openldap.org/faq/index.cgi?file=343