Running slapd and user authentication

hey all,

slapd 2.1.25 on Windows, built myself with VC++ 6.0

When I start up my slapd server, do I have to have some sort of user
authentication server running also (like SASL)?

My issue is that I've got slapd built and running but I can't view any of
the entries that I put in via slapadd. I've got Softerra's free LDAP browser
and all I get is a "No such object" error when I try to expand my dc= node
in the browser tree (but I know there's stuff in there because I can do an
LDIF export and it comes out to a file looking just like I expect it to).
When I call ldapsearch -h <my machine> I get this...

entry is = [c:\sasl-plugins\saslANONYMOUS.dll]
entry is = [c:\sasl-plugins\saslKERBEROSV4.dll]
Unable to dlopen c:\sasl-plugins\saslKERBEROSV4.dll: 126
entry is = [c:\sasl-plugins\saslPLAIN.dll]
entry is = [c:\sasl-plugins\saslCRAM.dll]
entry is = [c:\sasl-plugins\saslSCRAM.dll]
ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: No such attribute (16)

I've got the SASL stuff in c:\sasl-plugins and have the registry entries
setup. However, I built the sample_server that comes with Cyrus and when I
run it I get a bunch of memory asserts about invalid addresses. The server
still says it's running, but I'm not convinced that it is. Am I missing a
piece to the SASL server or is there a simpler server I can run?

Am I missing some sort of Slapd configuration to be getting this No such
object error? Googling isn't providing me withmuch to try, so hopefully
someone here will be able to help.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

matt
mharp@seapine.com