RE: sasl version mismatch: 2.1.15 vs 2.1.17

Yes. And it's what plenty of people try to do, all the time. It's exactly
what you're trying to do by attempting to use a Cryus 2.1.15 library on an
executable that was compiled against 2.1.17. When you compile against one set
of headers, those header definitions are effectively embedded into the
resulting binary. When you run the code with a different library version,
then you have the exact same problems as any other library/header mismatch.

> It's about the specific version requirement. This means that
> whenever sasl is
> upgraded, even a minor upgrade (like 2.1.n -> 2.1.n+1),
> openldap will have to
> be recompiled and reinstalled.

Wrong. If you compile OpenLDAP with Cyrus SASL 2.1.15 it will not complain
when you run with version 2.1.17 libraries. Increasing values of 'n' (2.1.n)
are always allowed.

> Is this really necessary?

Yes.

> Does cyrus sasl have
> a history of making such incompatible changes?

API compatibility is only part of the story. The other part is simple bug
fixing. We tend to be on the bleeding edge of Cyrus SASL's feature set. When
a feature we rely on is broken in the SASL library, and it gets fixed in a
subsequent release, we require that revision or newer at configure time. If
the library you run with is older than the one we found at configure/build
time, we complain, because most likely that older code is broken.

  -- Howard Chu