authentication with ldap

Hi All

I'm just a newbie in the whole ldap story and I hope that any one could help me.

I have installed pam_ldap and nss_ldap to make it possible for users to authenticate with their username and password which I created in the openldap-server. But how are things synchronized because when I look at my passwd file there are no users added which I created in my ldap database

when I try the command "getent passwd" it does contact my ldap server and show all of the users I created in the ldap database and the users that are in the passwd file.

And of course I can't login with the users I created in my ldap database.

Does any one know what to do or what I'm missing?

Thanks

greetz

Geert