Re: authentication with ldap

Geert Reijnders <reijnders@nlcom.nl> writes:

> Hi All
>
> I'm just a newbie in the whole ldap story and I hope that any one
> could help me.
>
> I have installed pam_ldap and nss_ldap to make it possible for users
> to authenticate with their username and password which I created in
> the openldap-server. But how are things synchronized because when I
> look at my passwd file there are no users added which I created in my
> ldap database

The idea of having a directory server as identity and credentials
repository is, to have a central database, so you never will get
additional entries in any local file.

> when I try the command "getent passwd" it does contact my ldap server
> and show all of the users I created in the ldap database and the users
> that are in the passwd file.
>
> And of course I can't login with the users I created in my ldap
> database.
>
> Does any one know what to do or what I'm missing?

How did you create passwords?
pam expects to have cleartext passwords. You probabely should add
'password-hash {CLEARTEXT}'
to slapd.conf, prior to adding any passwords.

-Dieter

--
Dieter Kluenter  | Systemberatung
Tel:040.64861967 | Fax: 040.64891521