Re: Looking for proven version

--On Wednesday, October 22, 2003 11:53 AM -0400 "Kirk A. Turner-Rustin" <ktrustin@owu.edu> wrote:

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003, Jehan PROCACCIA wrote:

Don't know if it's related, but I see you talking about RH and kernels versions. I am wondering why in openldap 2.1.22 RedHat rpm packages the start script (/etc/init.d/ldap) includes a "export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1" ? On one of my server I had to remove that env var to enable a proper start of slapd !?

Any clues on that ? thanks .

PS: I use RedHat 9 .

The line you mention does not appear in our /etc/rc.d/init.d/ldap. We are running OpenLDAP 2.1.22 built from the RedHat RawHide SRPM on three RedHat 9 boxes with all kernel and other updates from RH.

I am following this thread with some trepidation because I am preparing to
migrate these directories from back-ldbm to back-bdb (we just ordered a
second hard disk for each of our two production LDAP servers for storing
the transaction logs).

If a "feature" in the RH9 kernel is going to ditz my indexes after we
switch to bdb, I may hold off. Our server manager would balk at my using
a non-RH kernel on these boxes because it will complicate our patching
routines. Nathan: Were you running the most recent RH9 kernel
(2.4.20-20.9) before you switched to the one you compiled yourself?

This is slightly OT, but I would like to note that Stanford is experiencing a myriad of issues having things run in "production" under RH 9. We are moving to using RH ES 2.x which is 7.2 based. Long term, we will migrate to ES 3.0, but only after we can prove it is more effective than RH 9.

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer