Re: Looking for proven version

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003, Jehan PROCACCIA wrote:

> Don't know if it's related, but I see you talking about RH and kernels versions.
> I am wondering why in openldap 2.1.22 RedHat rpm packages the start script
> (/etc/init.d/ldap) includes a "export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1" ?
> On one of my server I had to remove that env var to enable a proper start of
> slapd !?
>
> Any clues on that ? thanks .
>
> PS: I use RedHat 9 .

The line you mention does not appear in our /etc/rc.d/init.d/ldap.
We are running OpenLDAP 2.1.22 built from the RedHat RawHide SRPM on
three RedHat 9 boxes with all kernel and other updates from RH.

I am following this thread with some trepidation because I am preparing to
migrate these directories from back-ldbm to back-bdb (we just ordered a
second hard disk for each of our two production LDAP servers for storing
the transaction logs).

If a "feature" in the RH9 kernel is going to ditz my indexes after we
switch to bdb, I may hold off. Our server manager would balk at my using
a non-RH kernel on these boxes because it will complicate our patching
routines. Nathan: Were you running the most recent RH9 kernel
(2.4.20-20.9) before you switched to the one you compiled yourself?

> Selon Nathan Ehresman <nehresma@css.tayloru.edu>:
>
> > Quanah,
> >
> > Thanks for replying.  Yeah, I'm positive it is something with RedHat 9, but
> > I'll be boogered if I can't figure out exactly what's corrupting those
> > indexes.  When I move the exact same stuff over to a RedHat 7.2 machine (I
> > don't have any Solaris boxes to play with), it works like a charm.  If
> > indeed the kernel change seems to take care of it (I should know in a week
> > or so), I'll let the list know if for nothing else than archive
> > documentation for other people who might search for the same behavior.
> >
> > Nathan
[snip]

--
Kirk Turner-Rustin