slapd + SASL as non-root

Hi all,

Has anyone run in to the same problem as I with running slapd with SASL support on FreeBSD 5.1? I've search both Google and the mailing lists to no avail. It seems the rc subsystem runs slapd as non-root (chroot'd even, if I'm reading rc.subr correctly), instead running it as user 'ldap'. The problem is that I also have SASL support configured, and working fine when slapd runs as root. Running as non-root, when I run ldapsearch with the DIGEST-MD5 mechanism, it produces the following:

ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: Internal (implementation specific) error (80)
        additional info: SASL(-13): user not found: no secret in database

Is there a fix/workaround for this?

Regards,
Aaron