RE: Question on Sleepycat docs re: pagesize cautions

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003, Howard Chu wrote:

> The back-bdb code sets explicit page sizes, independent of the
> underlying filesystem's page size. The default is 4K for most files,
> with 16K for the id2entry database. You can override these values at
> compile time, see back-bdb.h (look for PAGESIZE)...
>
> It's probably easier to do a hot backup using slapcat. Maybe
> db_dump/db_load is OK too, but I wouldn't use cp or dd since they'll
> miss data in the BDB cache that hasn't been checkpointed.

I was specifically refering to the hot backup instructions in
http://www.sleepycat.com/docs/ref/transapp/archival.html, which of course
are not specific to OpenLDAP and therefore don't discuss the use of
slapcat.  Also backing up with slapcat would mean a complete reload would
be necessary for recovery.

According to the instructions in the link above, if you copy the database
files identified by "db_archive -s" and the log files identified by
"db_archive -l" then you can recover to a consistent state using
catastrophic recovery, but there are several cautions about being sure
that you archive the files in multiples of the database page size.

If this is NOT a sane approach for some reason please let me know;
otherwise I think that with the info you provided about back-bdb.h I can
figure something out.

Allan