JNDI tutorial's java.schema format

I've been working through the Sun's JDNI/LDAP tutorial, and I couldn't load
their java.schema until I modified it by changing each entry from, for
example,

( 1.3.6.1.4.1.42.2.27.4.1.6
  NAME 'javaClassName'
  DESC 'Fully qualified name of distinguished Java class or interface'
  EQUALITY caseExactMatch
  SYNTAX 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.15
  SINGLE-VALUE
)

attributetype ( 1.3.6.1.4.1.42.2.27.4.1.6
  NAME 'javaClassName'
  DESC 'Fully qualified name of distinguished Java class or interface'
  EQUALITY caseExactMatch
  SYNTAX 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.15
  SINGLE-VALUE )

Now it seems to work (it no longer says it doesn't recognize javaClassName
and javaSerializedData). Can OpenLDAP be instructed to read the original
format from Sun? Is this the expected behavior? (I couldn't find any record
of this problem by Googling.)

Matt