LDAP failover almost

Title: LDAP failover almost

Have 3 LDAP servers listed in ldap.conf on my 150 LDAP client systems.  I took the slapds down on the first server and the clients seemed to failover to the second server until I actually shutdown Linux on the first server.  Then a small number clients started to hang on LDAP requests.  These problems did not show up in my initial testing.  Is there something else I need to configure?

Using LDAP for people, groups and automounts.

LDAP server are Red Hat 7.3 with openldap.2.0.26 with server side TLS.

Clients are Red Hat 7.3 with openldap-clients-2.0.27-2.7.3.i386.rpm

Gerry