Replication Suggestions

Dear all

I am running two RH7.2 machines at two sites. Both have OpenLDAP 2.0.27
running on them, and they're used to hold user accounts for Samba &
Unix, and auth using PAM_LDAP. Each OpenLDAP directory has the same
base. The sites are linked securely via IPSEC. I wish to merge these two
directories into one, have one of the machines hold the master copy and
one hold a slave copy so that when a change is made at the slave, it
refers it to the master, master does the business then slurps it back to
the slave. Hunky Dory.

I have tested this out and it works alright. Replication from master to
slave - using a pre-defined replication user that is not the rootdn - is
fine. What puzzles me is making the slave chase a referral and making it
rebind as something other than anonymous. I have read in the archives
that this is not possible with any version of the OpenLDAP client tools.
If it isn't, what should I be doing to make this setup do what I want,
as replication isn't a great deal of use otherwise? Would SASL help me?
If so, how and why? I'm not particularly worried about security at this
stage - I just want it to work.

Do any of you run a similar system, if so, what do you use?

Many thanks,

Phil