Re: Migration from Redhat to SuSe

On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 04:39:19PM -0600, Brian Vandruff wrote:

> I have not found any instructions for upgrading from one version to
> another or even exporting the data and importing it to the new server.
> There seems to be a limit on how many records I can access and I have a
> very very large database.

When migrating to a new version or from one machine to another it is
usually best to export the data using slapcat rather than by searching
or copying db files. This should be done with slapd shut down (though
recent versions of 2.1 allow live use of slapcat on bdb backends)

So, on your old box, something like this:

	Shut down slapd
	slapcat > my-data.ldif

Then copy the file to the new box, make sure that slapd.conf is set up
correctly, and do:

	slapadd < my-data.ldif
	Start the new slapd

The above process assumes that you only have one backend database.
If you are supporting more than one suffix in your existing server,
you should consider splitting the data so that each suffix has its own
database on the new server.

NOTE that 2.1.x checks the schema rules much more carefully than 2.0.x
so you may well find that there are errors in the data that have to be
corrected before it will load.

> On the SuSe Box:
>
> openldap2-2.1.4-70
> openldap2-client-2.1.4-70

2.1.4 is rather old. There have been many bugfixes since then.
You should consider building 2.1.16

Andrew