Re: Adding attributes (in a massive way)....

Today at 3:44pm, Peter Marschall wrote:

> I cannot believe tthe numbers for the ldapmodify.
> Did you actually measure them ?

I did not measure a full 54000 entry modification.  I have sat for HOURS
and watched an ldapmodify spew forth one "updating xxx" per second when
I made massive changes (defined as run a slapcat, process with a perl
script to generate the ldif to update everyone, run ldapmodify on that
ldif).  I have long since given up doing things that way.

Now, instead of writing a perl script using Net::LDAP to bind,
search/update (all entries), unbind.  I write a perl script using
Net::LDAP to read the ldif file generated by slapcat, make the updates,
write a new ldif file, then I run slapadd to replace the whole
directory.  It has proven to be just plain faster in my environment.

It's been about six months since I even tried the "live update" process
for anything more than a few entries.

Systems Programmer              | Always remember: You are UNIQUE,
                    === God Bless Us All ===