RE: Help, please! My OpenLDAP server stopped working!

A hang probably indicates a locking conflict, but might also indicate a
memory shortage. You should read the Berkeley DB documentation, look into the
db_stat command, and examine the memory usage, cache effectiveness, all other
statistics of your database environment. If you copied the raw database files
directly from a running server directory to another directory, including the
__db.* environment files, then you may have duplicated the images of some
active locks, even though those locks aren't "live" in your new copy.
Obviously, this is not the correct way to duplicate a slapd database - slapd
must be shut down before you do anything to the raw database files.

"not really knowing what to do" - *always* read the documentation first.
Taking action blindly seldom resolves anything.

You should never use OpenLDAP (or any other software package, for that
matter) without reading both its docs *and* the docs for the database (and
any other) library that you're using. Learn about all the pieces that went
in, don't just slap 'em together, type "make" and forget about it.
Sleepycat's BDB documentation is very thorough. Information is all at your
fingertips, there's no excuse for ignorance.

  -- Howard Chu