Re: ACL examples

man, 2003-02-10 kl. 23:48 skrev Tom Possin:

> Is there some special features in 2.1.x that I really need to do this? I
> am running stock RH tools for LDAP and the basics are working OK I would
> like to write my app for an out of the box install if possible. But if
> this is not possible I guess by the time it is done 2.1 or better will
> be in the stock distros.

I've only ever run 2.1.x, so I can't answer this (but I'm sure Adam
Williams, who is definitely a "pro" user and who has stuck to the 2.0
tree, can).

> Anyway before I go to the pain of a custom install I want to know if it
> is absolutely necessary.

See above. I'm the sort of user who insists on "latest stable" for
everything and this mostly involves compiling, installing and
configuring source. Even custom SCO and Linux kernels :-) Keeping up
with CERT, SANS and ISC and having seen what nasty things can happen
when people find holes and when old software runs wild made me paranoid
a long time ago. Apart from which, one mostly gets payoff in performance
and user support. Besides everything "being more fun" and doing what you
want better (compiles are configurable in a way standard stuff just
cannot be).

That's one reason I can't reply to Phil Dibowitz's posting later on the
list. Poor fellow, he's tried so hard and I can't tell him to chuck all
that he's done and begin all over again.

> Thanks for your tips I did find some posts that look like they might
> help but I have not tested them yet.

The archives (tips from the Openldap developers) would tend to confirm
what I write above. At any rate you should find 2.0.27 rpms somewhere
and use them instead of standard RH stuff.

Best,

Tony

--

Tony Earnshaw

"Can anyone define 'modern enclitic
mediocrity' in terms of the Euro for me?"
- Billy the (Norwegian-Dutch) Cat, Feb '03

e-post:		tonni@billy.demon.nl
www:		http://www.billy.demon.nl