Re: run Ldap?

Cristian Tudose wrote:
I'm new to this list and would like to ask a stupid question.
I have instaled and configured the ldap-stable-9890xx .
The instalation process was successful ... all it's ok ...
But how can i start it under FreeBSD.
Under linux i know "services ldap start", but under FreeBSD ?

Thanks :)

either you write your own rc file , or you use freebsd ports of openldap who might include everything to get it started properly.
However on my freeBSD 4.7 I only get 1.2.13 version by default (-> really need to upgrade !)

bash-2.05b$ pwd
/usr/ports/net/openldap
bash-2.05b$ make
>> openldap-1.2.13.tgz doesn't seem to exist in /usr/ports/distfiles/.

I recommend some reading of the freebsd hanbook, about rc files .

Here's an example on how to start the zebra router, just replace with slapd ...

bash-2.05b$ pwd
/usr/local/etc/rc.d
bash-2.05b$ more zebra.sh
#!/bin/sh -
#
#    initialization/shutdown script for zebra package

case "$1" in
 start)
  /usr/local/sbin/zebra -d && echo -n ' zebra started'
 ;;
 stop)
 kill `cat /var/run/zebra.pid` && echo -n ' zebra stoped'
 ;;
 status)
 ps x | grep zebra
 ;;
 *)
 echo "unknown option: $1 - should be 'start' or 'stop'" >&2
 ;;
esac