How to authenticate user on OpenLDAP using SSL or TLS

Dear All,

I am new to OpenLDAP. My requirement is as follows.
1. OpenLDAP will be on Unix or windows box. (my boss hasn't told me about
this)
2. SHA will be encryption. (Then could windows be OS still?)
3. I have to write application in VB to access OpenLDAP directory Server.
4. User will supply username and password. (Rest I have to trace thru all
the directories on the server).
5. I just have to authenticate whether it's a valid UserID and password.
6. The communication should happen using SSL or TLS.

I wish to know,
1. SSL authentication is easy or TLS authentication is easy? And the
practical comparison between two.
2. Any examples (using vb) on SSL.
3. Any examples (using vb) on TLS.
4. Can I do this authentication without using any third party control? If
yes, then what all programming languages could be the options? Do they
provide readymade libraries wherein I just have to make function calls? Or
lotsa lotsa coding is required? Any examples?
5. Do I require to use any certificates (from certification authority) on
server in order to use SSL or TLS?
6. Do I require to use any certificates (from certification authority) on
client in order to use SSL or TLS?

Regards
Pravin Joshi