Re: Updateref Ignored, Part Duex: The Final Chapter

On Monday, August 12, 2002, at 11:58 AM, Adam Williams wrote:

I'm still having some replication problems.  With kind help from
Kurt Zeilenga I came to understand that it is not a good idea to
have my rootdn and updatedn be the same.  So I've added a user for
purposes of replication.
This works well on my master slapd server.  I can now
add/modify/delete users there and have changes successfully
replicate the slave.  But I am still have problems at the slave
end.  Basicly, when I try to add users using my new "Replicator"
account on the slave the go strait to the database and ignore my
updateref directive.
Of course. If you are 'signed on' as the replicator, slapd assumes you
are the master and updates it's database accordingly. A user
should never
user (or really even know about) the replicator account. Sign onto the
slave as a ***user*** and make changes, and you should see the
referral.
Makes sense.  Tried this and it works like a champ -- thanks for
the help!
I searched the list archives today (search is alive again this
week -- yeah!) and notice a LOT of folks approaching replication
problems for the first time had the same problems I've had.  So I
would be very happy to write everything I've learned regarding
replication (including working examples) and submit it all for
review to the OpenLDAP documentation gods.  From comments to the
list it seems that a lot of people read of the replication
documentation and still don't "get it" -- and to me the docs do
seem a bit sparse in this particular area.
And sometimes a newcomer's perspective is a handy thing for writing
clear documentation...  :)

Have you looked at my LDAP presentation at - ftp://kalamazoolinux.org/pub/pdf/ldapv3.pdf ?

Yup. It very helpful in when it came time to move the master ldap database to the slave.

I cover replication in some depth. If you think I missed something let me
know and I will gladly amend.

I will add a slide about the "specialness" of updatedn.

I think that would be helpful. That would have prevented at least on of my issues.

You should get a link to your docs from the openldap site!

Ximian GNOME, Evolution, LTSP, and RedHat Linux + LVM & XFS

Geoffrey L. Wright, Senior Partner
Alaska Web Art
P.O. Box 240133 Anchorage, AK 99524
Office - 907.868.8092 Fax - 907.563.2122
http://www.akwebart.com