New To LDAP and to List

I have been reading about LDAP lately and want to try and build a server
using it with FreeBSD4.6. I have no DB skills so the concepts of how they
interact is confusing to me. Does anyone have a site that will help the
simple to gain a foothold on how to build an LDAP server. Also, there are,
AFAIK, a few different choices for security i.e. kerberos,ssl,certificates.
Which would be easiest to use with my first attempt at building this server?
I have already read a few good sites and have bookmarked them, but I have
had trouble finding FreeBSD specific setups that do not require a phd to
understand, as I said earlier, this is my first attempt to build an LDAP
server.

Jon