Re: open ldap and local user management?

Also Sprach Arnoud Smit <lagoon@xs4all.nl> on Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 07:56:11AM PST
> Hi all..
>
> At the moment I'm working on a proposal to implement openLDAP at a huge
> firm where openLDAP should manage about 8000 user accounts. This should
> be just fine with openLDAP, SSL and a good dbms, but recently some more
> questions were send this way. Perhaps someone over here can give me some
> pointers. Perhaps what we wan't cannt even be achieved...
>
> - openLDAP should gather for the logins over the network (ssh, scp etc).
> This won't be any problem, this is wat openLDAP is good at.
> - openLDAP should provide a way to create some /home/<user>/ directories
> on machines where the users can log in locally.
> - any problems when you use PS on an LDAP bases machine? eg. is PS using
> LDAP when it needs to insert a username in its output?

PS?  Postscript?  If it uses NSS and you've set up nss_ldap,
it should be fine.

> Yups, the customer wants a lot, wants some GUI's (anyone knows of good
> GUI's for the above tasks and esp. the amount of users?)

I'm working on a Webmin-based manager, but I haven't gotten it
completely where I want it for a first release (user management is
complete except for one feature; group management in progress) but
this first release won't do everything you'll need; it currently uses
the "flat" structure the PADL migration scripts use (and regrettably
hard-codes them); doesn't "page" the user listing; doesn't support
more than the very basic objectClasses and attributes (no shadow,
kerberos, samba, etc.).  These things I hope to implement in a future
release, but I need the app for my own purposes at the moment so
a working release with the features I need are my priority.

I've also got a 'create_homedir' module that I need to rework that
it will integrate with to remotely create and remove home directories
and mail spools.  (It needs Webmin RPC configured on all hosts.)

Anyway, if you're interested, it's at
http://nakedape.cc/index.php3/webmin/directory_mgr

Wil
--
W. Reilly Cooley                           wcooley@nakedape.cc
irc.linux.com                                     #orlug,#lnxs

Love is the delusion that one woman differs from another.
		-- H.L. Mencken