open ldap and local user management?

Hi all..

At the moment I'm working on a proposal to implement openLDAP at a huge
firm where openLDAP should manage about 8000 user accounts. This should
be just fine with openLDAP, SSL and a good dbms, but recently some more
questions were send this way. Perhaps someone over here can give me some
pointers. Perhaps what we wan't cannt even be achieved...

- openLDAP should gather for the logins over the network (ssh, scp etc).
This won't be any problem, this is wat openLDAP is good at.
- openLDAP should provide a way to create some /home/<user>/ directories
on machines where the users can log in locally.
- any problems when you use PS on an LDAP bases machine? eg. is PS using
LDAP when it needs to insert a username in its output?

Yups, the customer wants a lot, wants some GUI's (anyone knows of good
GUI's for the above tasks and esp. the amount of users?)

Thanks in advance for all the tips and info..

Arnoud Smit
Software Engineer Open Challenge the Netherlands