New list member.

Hello everyone,

Let me introduce myself. My name is Ivan, I am sysadmin
and a postgraduate student ant the University of Sydney, Australia (the
country of the best Olympic ice skate racers of all time).

I am completely new to the idea of OpenLDAP and need lots of
advice. I managed to create a couple of Linux based undergraduate labs in
our department using RH and Debian Linux flavors.

Everything works great all undergrads are now using
Linux/OpenOffice(StarOffice) and other soft for the class work. As a last
touch I would like to implement some sort of centralized authentication
service. I was not recommenced to use NIS in our environment, too
insecure. I read on the web, that the openldap has being successfully used
for this and many other purposes.

I installed latest available rpm ...-21 and now are trying to do the
configuration.

Would greatly appreciate if one can advice to me a good book keeping in
mind that I am sysadmin, not a programmer.

Any sites where examples of conf for openldap for user authentication
are given will be very appreciated.

If somebody have an experience with setting openldap in a small university
department and would like to share his/her wisdom, their advice will be
highly appreciated.

My first question:

1) I have wrappers installed and I am blocking any requests coming from
outside of my domain. I found, however that openldap server only works if
I allow ALL to access my ldap server.

If I try to restrict ldap to my subnet by putting an IP range and try
ldapsearch -x -b '' -s base '(objectclass=*)' namingContexts I get:
ldap_bind: Can't contact LDAP server

Is this is normal?

For all other services I can put an IP range from which connections are
accepted.

Thank you.

Ivan Teliatnikov,
F05 David Edgeworth Building,