Re: New list member.

>I am completely new to the idea of OpenLDAP and need lots of
>advice. I managed to create a couple of Linux based undergraduate labs in
>our department using RH and Debian Linux flavors.
>Everything works great all undergrads are now using
>Linux/OpenOffice(StarOffice) and other soft for the class work. As a last
>touch I would like to implement some sort of centralized authentication
>service. I was not recommenced to use NIS in our environment, too
>insecure. I read on the web, that the openldap has being successfully used
>for this and many other purposes.
>I installed latest available rpm ...-21 and now are trying to do the
>configuration.
>Would greatly appreciate if one can advice to me a good book keeping in
>mind that I am sysadmin, not a programmer.
>Any sites where examples of conf for openldap for user authentication
>are given will be very appreciated.

I have an LDAP presentation with examples of such things at:
ftp://kalamazoolinux.org/pub/pdf/ldapv3.pdf

>If somebody have an experience with setting openldap in a small university
>department and would like to share his/her wisdom, their advice will be
>highly appreciated.
>My first question:
>1) I have wrappers installed and I am blocking any requests coming from

tcpwrappers?  Can you provide examples of entries that do/do-not work?

>outside of my domain. I found, however that openldap server only works if
>I allow ALL to access my ldap server.
>If I try to restrict ldap to my subnet by putting an IP range and try
>ldapsearch -x -b '' -s base '(objectclass=*)' namingContexts I get:
>ldap_bind: Can't contact LDAP server
>Is this is normal?

I would suppose not,  but I've never used tcpwrappers (?) with slapd.

>For all other services I can put an IP range from which connections are
>accepted.

What does netstat -ap look like on the LDAP server when it does not
work?