Re: schema syntax: Octet string vs IA5 string

At 07:50 AM 2001-11-29, Roel van Meer wrote:
>"Kurt D. Zeilenga" wrote:
>> At 03:53 AM 2001-11-29, Roel van Meer wrote:
>> >in my schema, i have an attribute which will contain an ip number.
>> >Should this have an Octet String syntax, or an IA5 String syntax?
>> >
>> >Logically, i would say it should be an octet string, but the nis
>> >schema uses an IA5 string.
>>
>> Logically, I'd say it should be ipAddressSyntax (fictitious) which
>> constrained the value to an IP address and defined an appropriate string
>> syntax.
>But in absence of this syntax...

The syntax and matching rules of an attribute need to be chosen
carefully based upon the intended use in applications of the
attribute type.  Having zero clue as to how you intend to use
this attribute type, I frankly cannot not make a recommendation
on which syntax and matching rules are most appropriate.

>And if it does matter, do you know which one would be best?

I would say it matters more to design the schema to meet the
application needs then to worry about what are minor influences
to the performance of the directory server.

Kurt