Re: schema syntax: Octet string vs IA5 string

"Kurt D. Zeilenga" wrote:

> At 03:53 AM 2001-11-29, Roel van Meer wrote:
> >in my schema, i have an attribute which will contain an ip number.
> >Should this have an Octet String syntax, or an IA5 String syntax?
> >
> >Logically, i would say it should be an octet string, but the nis
> >schema uses an IA5 string.
>
> Logically, I'd say it should be ipAddressSyntax (fictitious) which
> constrained the value to an IP address and defined an appropriate string
> syntax.

But in absence of this syntax...

> >I noticed that indexes for the attribute differ in size. The
> >attribute index file when using IA5 is 520192 bytes, while the index
> >file for Octet string is 503808 bytes.
> >
> >Of course, the amount of disk space used is irrelevant, but i was
> >wondering if the syntax type had any influence on search
> >performance?
>
> Yes, generally a very small influence.

... which one do you recommend?
(Is the influence "very small, but noticable", or is it "so very
small it doesn't matter which sytax you use")?

And if it does matter, do you know which one would be best? If not,
i'll just go with octet, as that's the way it is now...

Thanks for your help,
\r
--
1A First Alternative rolek@alt001.com    www.alt001.com