Re: maintaining uniqueness of uid across subtree's

Hi,
     Thanks for your suggestions ... with the command mentioned by you in the
mail we have managed to install cvs successfully and also done the configure
with enable meta and rewrite. I am pasting below the portion of the slapd.conf
which we have included over and above the regular definations.

database            meta
suffix              "o=meta,o=xyz"
uri                 "ldap://localhost/ou=chennai,o=meta,o=xyz";
suffixmassage       "ou=chennai,o=meta,o=xyz" "ou=chennai,o=xyz"
uri                  "ldap://localhost/ou=bombay,o=meta,o=xyz";
suffixmassage        "ou=bombay,o=meta,o=xyz" "ou=bombay,o=xyz"
uri                   "ldap://localhost/o=meta,o=xyz";
suffixmassage         "o=meta,o=xyz" "o=xyz"

But then the basic objective of ldapsearch happening through all the sub tree's
has not been achieved. When  i give a ldapsearch, the output returned is as
follows:

sh-2.02# ldapsearch -b "o=xyz"
# extended LDIF
#
# LDAPv3
# filter: (objectclass=*)
# requesting: ALL
#
# xyz
dn: o=xyz
o: xyz
objectClass: organization
# meta, xyz
dn: o=meta,o=xyz
o: meta
objectClass: organization
# chennai, meta, xyz
dn: ou=chennai,o=meta,o=xyz
ou: chennai
objectClass: organizationalUnit
# bombay, meta, xyz
dn: ou=bombay,o=meta,o=xyz
ou: bombay
objectClass: organizationalUnit
# search result
search: 2
result: 0 Success
# numResponses: 5
# numEntries: 4

This does not retrieve the data which is there in subtree's "ou=chennai , o=xyz"
and "ou=bombay , o=xyz" . The required output is obtained only if the complete
base is specified.

So the on  the face of it the meta concept does not seem to be working ...  Are
we going wrong some where ?? Could you throw some light on the same .

Is it possible to achieve the same objective through referrals ??? If so then
how ??/

Thanks in advance

Best regards
Sovan

|--------+------------------------->
|        |          Pierangelo     |
|        |          Masarati       |
|        |          <masarati@aero.|
|        |          polimi.it>     |
|        |                         |
|        |          10/07/01 20:24 |
|        |                         |
|--------+------------------------->
  >--------------------------------------------------------|
  |       To:     Sovan Shatpathy/Satyam@Satyam            |
  |       cc:                                              |
  |       Subject:     Re: maintaining uniqueness of  uid  |
  |       across subtree's                                 |

Sovan_Shatpathy@satyam-infoway.com wrote:

> Hi,
>       Heer in accordance with your suggestion we have been trying to  make
> enable -rewrite and meta work. But then for this to work we need to have CVS
> installed and working in our Solaris box. We have been able to install CVS in
> the Solaris box  but then beyond connecting to the server it is giving the
> following error which i am pasting below..

I'm not familiar with cvsup; I usually use cvs. You need to type

cvs -d ':pserver:anonymous@cvs.OpenLDAP.org:/repo/OpenLDAP' login

type "OpenLDAP" as password, then

cvs -d ':pserver:anonymous@cvs.OpenLDAP.org:/repo/OpenLDAP' -z3 checkout -P ldap

you'll get the entire HEAD version of the tree in a directory called 'ldap'.
You can rename that directory with the name you wish; then, once you're
in it, you can get updates by simply typing

cvs -z3 update

(-z3 means compression level, to reduce bandwidth usage). If you need to
update a specific file or directory (with all the included files) you can add
the file name after 'update'.

Remember to configure with

./configure --enable-rewrite --enable-meta

to build the back-meta.

Pierangelo.

--
Dr. Pierangelo Masarati               | voice: +39 02 2399 8309
Politecnico di Milano                 | mailto:masarati@aero.polimi.it