Re: openldap patches

On Wed, 30 May 2001, Peter Peltonen wrote:

> Lynn Winebarger wrote:
> >
> >    Unfortunately, you usually have to read them and (unless you're
> > familiar with the software) and guess whether they're relevant.  Usually
>
> The question is: as I'm running RH should I try to use those patches when
> installing 2.0.11? Probably not...?

    I'm saying the minimum you have to do is read the patches.  There's a
good chance you'd  want to apply them if you've got a standard Redhat
system.  This particularly applies to purely configuration patches small
patches that do easily discernible things (like change strcpy to strncpy).

> > > Patch4: openldap-2.0.3-krb5-1.1.patch
> >     not sure - looks like redhat uses nonstandard names for kerberos
>
> Maybe I should use this, as configure fails with 2.0.11 to:

   Probably.  Redhat stores kerberos libraries in /usr/kerberos, which
isn't in the compiler's default search path.  That patch also undefines a
macro (KERBEROS_V or something like that), so you may want to look at
that.
   Nothing's guaranteed, though.  You can always try the patch and then
see if it's buggy.  You can be sure RH does - you've noticed they don't
come out with new packages as soon as software is released.

Lynn