Re: OpenLDAP and Win2K

Carmi Weinzweig wrote:

I have read through as much of the documentation (including the FAQ) as I can find, and I can't quite tell if one can use OpenLDAP as an Active Directory Server for a Win2k network. I'd like to have all my AD servers be FreeBSD or Linux boxes and not have any Win2K server boxes.

So here are the questions:

    1. Can OpenLDAP act as a Win2K Active Directory Server?

I do not think you will be able to do this as OpenLDAP for the following reasons:
Although ADS uses the protocol LDAP for doing lookups in the directory, the Win2k Network System has many opther concepts that OpenLDAP (or any LDAP) system does not comprehend, like:
Domains
Sites
File System Access
Kerberos
And I am sure I am missing some others.
When a Win2k Client Logs into the Win2K, there is very little LDAP communication. It is mostly the same old SMB stuff MS has been doing all along. LDAP, form the client standpoiunt is used to access ADS not the rest of the Win2k system.
-jim

2. If so, what are the configuration parameters (in specific, does someone have a schema for this, and a set of sample OpenLDAP configuration files)?

3. Would a user of the M$ Active Directory Users and Computers administration tool still be able to manage a domain if OpenLDAP was the AD server?

4. Is there anything that I am missing or haven't asked about that might make this difficult?

5. Is anyone out there doing this, and if so can you share your experiences?

Thanks for your help.

/carmi