Re: Killing slapd on FreeBSD 4.1

At 02:09 PM 8/14/00 -0500, Randy Kunkee wrote:
>Kurt can correct me if I'm wrong, but it's pretty standard (and supported)

Standard?  All current documentation should say
"use SIGINT to shutdown slapd gracefully".  SIGTERM
should work as well, but the semantics of SIGTERM may
change in the future to "immediate shutdown" (cancel
in progress operations)).  SIGINT will always be the
"graceful shutdown".

SIGKILL is risky and shouldn't be used unless SIGINT
and SIGTERM failed (which is usually indicative of
a threading or other problem).

>to accept a SIGTERM to shut down slapd, and that is the default signal sent
>by kill.
>
>Kill -QUIT is probably safe if you don't use "dbcachenowsync".  If a regular
>kill (or kill -INT) does not shut down your slapd, what does happen?  Do
>you get anything in your syslog, for example, such as "waiting for 2 threads"?
>Are you talking about OpenLDAP 2.0-beta or OpenLDAP 1.2.x?

No.  I'm talking in general.  I prefer to advocate uses which
will be forward compatible.

Kurt