Re: Domain Name Suffix

On Tue, 9 Nov 1999, Kristina wrote:

> I think this subject "Domain Name Suffix" has gone way out of it's
> original purpose. Actually, its my fault! I think
> Glenn still hasn't got his original question answered.
>
> I have taken the liberty to copy and paste the original posting here:
> ********ORIGINAL POSTING*****************
> At 10:47 99/11/08 -1000, you wrote:
> > Hi Kurt,
> >
> > Slapd runs better than I had imagined it would.  But we need to
> > change the .com to .gov in everyones e-mail address.
> >
> > Basically made the ldbm definitions in slapd.conf look like the
> > following:
> >
> > referral          ldap://spectrum.pacom.osis.gov
> >
> > database        ldbm
> > suffix            "o=PACOM, c=US"
> > directory        /usr/local/ldap
> > rootdn           "cn=root, o=PACOM, c=US'
> > rootpw          secret
> >

> > I built the database using "ldapadd -D "cn=root, o=PACOM, c=US" -w
> > secret < /tmp/myldif,
> > where myldif contained the people database info.  It took a few hours to
> > build the database
> > for over 1000 people.  I could build the database again with the proper
> > info for o and dc,
> > however, it's working fine on our network.  The only problem is that the
> > domain name in
> > the database shows .com verses .gov in people's e-mail addresses.
> >
> > So was wondering if we could just modify o and dc.  I tried changing
> > slapd.conf and restarting
> > slapd, but that did not work.  Could you suggest a solution?

Glenn,

  Sounds like whatever tool you used to create your /tmp/myldif file
created the entries with the wrong domain suffix.  Did you use the
migration tools from PADL?  You may have mistakenly put the wrong domain
in migrate_common.ph

  Sounds like what you will need to do is change each of the entries
individually.  Probably the fastest thing to do is to delete your existing
database and re-create it from scratch after fixing the domain in each
entry in /tmp/myldif.

You should be able to do a quick sed command to change all the .com's to
.gov in your /tmp/myldif file.

  Incidentally, once you have this file created it is much, much faster to
generate your ldap database using the command:

  ldif2ldbm -i /tmp/myldif -f /location/of/your/slapd.conf

Remember to restart slapd after doing this.

--
Derek D. Martin
Senior UNIX Systems/Network Administrator