Re: Distributing headers for building back-ends?

* Kurt D. Zeilenga (Kurt@OpenLDAP.org) wrote:
> At 10:20 AM 5/20/2003, Stephen Frost wrote:
> >  We (Debian) have been asked to package and distribute the headers
> >  needed to build back-ends for slapd.  I'm planning on doing this and
> >  making them available as 'libslapd2-dev' and installing the files into
> >  /usr/include/slapd.  I just wanted to know if you all had any
> >  comments or thoughts on this?
>
> At this time, I'd say "no" to the request.  The headers are
> not designed to be used outside of the build environment.

Hmm.  I'll add a warning about it to the description and make it clear
that this isn't supported and so things can and will break.  People have
apparently actually written other backends for OpenLDAP and this would
likely make them easier to build w/o having to download the entire
OpenLDAP source.

	Thanks,

		Stephen