Distributing headers for building back-ends?

Greetings,

  We (Debian) have been asked to package and distribute the headers
  needed to build back-ends for slapd.  I'm planning on doing this and
  making them available as 'libslapd2-dev' and installing the files into
  /usr/include/slapd.  I just wanted to know if you all had any
  comments or thoughts on this?

  If you feel it's a pretty decent idea it might be nice if you modified
  your build system to install the appropriate headers during your 'make
  install' phase.  This would make it easier for us to be sure we get
  the right headers and that we're consistant with what's found on other
  distributions.

	Thanks,

  		Stephen