ACL regex and Unicode (was: acl again)

[moved from -devel]

> > without extra intervening spaces.
>
> Maybe we should try to normalize that in the code when parsing the rule?
> I should look into Unicode and ACLs, we need to decide what to try to
> normalize though. Normalization and regexps are a bit awkward, even more
> so when taking Unicode into account.

I read in some posting from Kurt that there are plans to implement
Unicode regex; I guess you're working on that.  I agree we'd try to
normalize ACLs as well.  Recently I've been working on DN parsing
and I gave a look at ACL as well to see if there's anything that needs
be done in terms on normalization and so.  IMHO those ACL regex that
apply to DNs should be split in DN components and operate on the LDAPDN
structures.  So we might start from the DN structures created by
ldap_str2dn and introduce a new function that parses a DN according
to regex rules.  I'm unaware of the implications of regex matching,
so I'll have a look at the current code to see how it fits in my ideas.

This might come after I work on dn validate/normalize starting from
the LDAPDN structure.

Pierangelo.