Re: Partitial results

At 09:59 AM 4/19/00 +0200, Mikael Grehn wrote:
>Dear Kurt,
>
>"Kurt D. Zeilenga" wrote:
>
>> At 10:05 AM 4/17/00 +0200, Mikael Grehn wrote:
>> >Hi!
>> >If I wish to use the partitial result return in my LDAP server, for
>> >example I wish to return 10 entries to the client then wait 10 sec. and
>> >then send 10 more entries, how should I do this?
>>
>> See http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2696.txt
>>

>this document describes how the client can specify (in LDAPControl Extension)
>a paged result request from server using a cookie as parameter that is
>refered in future (continuing) requests to server.

Yes.

>But I dont need this, I want to find a way for the SERVER to limit the amount
>resulting entries by a partitial size and timelimit.

This is exactly what paging allows.  Yes, it is client initiated.
This is a good thing.

>But the server need to
>tell the client that "ok, here are some result, present them now and wait for
>more results later on from me...".

The server needs to know that the client supports paged results
and needs to know when the client is ready for more results.

>Any suggestions or recommendations?

Don't change the core protocol.

>It would be great if the solution is implementable on both LDAPv2 and v3
>clients.

As such requires protocol extension, both clients and servers
will likely have to support LDAPv3 (which provides a framework
for extensions) and the specific extension to manage the
paging of results.