Re: Partitial results

Dear Kurt,

"Kurt D. Zeilenga" wrote:

> At 10:05 AM 4/17/00 +0200, Mikael Grehn wrote:
> >Hi!
> >If I wish to use the partitial result return in my LDAP server, for
> >example I wish to return 10 entries to the client then wait 10 sec. and
> >then send 10 more entries, how should I do this?
>
> See http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2696.txt

this document describes how the client can specify (in LDAPControl Extension)
a paged result request from server using a cookie as parameter that is
refered in future (continuing) requests to server.

But I dont need this, I want to find a way for the SERVER to limit the amount
resulting entries by a partitial size and timelimit. But the server need to
tell the client that "ok, here are some result, present them now and wait for
more results later on from me...".

Any suggestions or recommendations?
It would be great if the solution is implementable on both LDAPv2 and v3
clients.

> Don't abuse partialResults.  partialResults is should only
> be returned by an LDAPv2+ server to indicate the presence
> of search references.
>
> >I am currently sending
> >10 entries, then I send ldap_result->LDAP_PARTITIAL_RESULTS and then
> >wait a certain idle time before sending 10 more entries and so on BUT
> >the LDAP_PARTITIAL_RESULTS code doesnt seem to work properly(I get error
> >at client side),..or have I got it all wrong?
> >
> >The reason for using the LDAP_PARTITIAL_RESULTS return code is that I
> >dont want to overload my search dll, so I return search results in
> >intervals using the LDAP_PARTITIAL_RESULTS return code inbetween.
> >
> >What am I doing wrong?

I am sorry for asking how to use LDAP URL with bindname and bindpw on this
mailing list, I'll try netscape (again).

--
Greatful are all the/any help!

Mikael Grehn
M.Sc