Re: How to change BaseDN? (OpenLDAP/slapd)

On Wed, Aug 07, 2019 at 09:10:30PM +0200, Dominique Fuchs wrote:
Hi,

Am 07.08.2019 um 19:07 schrieb Andreas Hasenack <andreas@canonical.com>

It's not slapd defaulting to that base suffix, that comes from the
debian (and ubuntu) packaging.

If you just started and don't have "real" data in there yet, it's
probably easier to just reconfigure the package with "sudo
dpkg-reconfigure slapd" and answer the questions. This will start
fresh from the new basedn.

thank you too, I didn‘t realize the slapd package skips the configuration with it‘s own assumptions. I now went with the solution from Quanah and modified the olcSuffix entry, this worked liked a charme.

If you change olcSuffix by hand like that, you must also either change the existing content in the database, or drop and recreate the data yourself with the new suffix. Otherwise, if you just start adding new content while the stale content is still there, you'll hit https://bugs.debian.org/546368 on a future upgrade.

dpkg-reconfigure drops and recreates the database for you, so you wouldn't have to worry about that. (But don't do it if you already have data in there that you care about!)