Antw: Re: OpenLDAP 2.5 plans and community engagement

Nachricht <2537EDE10877E990D54B64FF@[192.168.1.39]>:
> --On Thursday, July 25, 2019 12:12 PM +0200 Ondřej Kuzník
> <ondra@mistotebe.net> wrote:
>
>>> What I don't like is the strong focus on one (LMDB) database backend,
>>> despite of all the stupid things Oracle does.
>>
>> There are big issues with the two BerkeleyDB backends for many
>> installations so it had to be abandoned. I'll let Howard or Quanah take
>> this part of the discussion further should they choose to.
>>
>> Unfortunately, no other backend is in shape to be useable as a main
>> database in production.
>
> BerkeleyDB 6 and later are not license compatible with OpenLDAP.  Thus one
> of the "stupid" things Oracle did is ensure the removal of the back-bdb and

> back-hdb backends from OpenLDAP as well as BerkeleyDB from numerous other
> pieces of software.  It has already been noted that back-bdb/hdb are
> deprecated and that the supported primary database backend going forward
> from that point was back-mdb.

But if the license is the only problem, users still could use an older version
("last good") of BDB. To me I always had the impression that you want to push
MDB, not because it's better, but because it's yours. Personally I think users
should be able to decide which database they prefer.
Ironically many users are using Oracle databases, because some software
vendors don't leave customers a choice...