Extensible filters and substring searches

Hello,

I’m trying to understand if it is possible or not to do a substring search on an attribute which does not specify a substring matching rule.
I was expecting to be able to use an extensible filter and specify the sub matching rule to use, but it does not seem to work ldapsearch says "ldap_search_ext: Bad search filter (-7)" as soon as the filter contains an asterisk.

And indeed reading https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4515 it does look like extensible filter does not allow asterisk, but it is surprising to me.
Is there really no way to do an extensible search on a substring?

I found some examples on the web of such filters, like here: http://www.zytrax.com/books/ldap/apa/search.html
They give these examples:

> # override SUBSTR match with case sensitive match
> sn:caseExactSubstringMatch:=*S* # only finds Smith
> # functionally same as above using OID
> sn:2.5.13.7:=*S*

But these do not work if I try them in ldapsearch I get bad search filter.

Côme